Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Optima Central Division Dashboard - Starters

This is the final of my belated NL Central preview posts.   In this post I am looking at the starters.   As I did in all three posts,  I am using Baseball Prospectus’s PECOTA pre-season forecasts from April 3rd.   The starters are ranked in the order of highest WARP starter to the lowest WARP starter based on the forecast from PECOTA. Here is the dashboard:

 
This starter chart surprised me a bit.  I figured the Brewers upgrade made them better but I did not expect them to project to be the best starting staff in the division by a wide margin.  Injuries should pull them back to the pack.  The Cubs and Cardinals create a 2nd tier.  The Reds and Houston form a 3rd tier.  Last are the Pirates who somehow manage to field a major league team with 3 starters projecting to be worse than Nelson Figueroa.

Notes on starters:
  • The Reds seem low to me.  I think the Reds make up for the top end quality with depth. So we can handle the inevitable injury better and that is not reflected here.  I think we have a better rotation than the Astros in reality.
  • The Cardinals seem to have the opposite type of rotation compared to the Reds.  They are great at the top but then drop off to the near replacement Kyle Lohse.   I don’t wish injuries on anyone but the Cardinals are running much more injury risk than the Reds in the rotation.
  • The Brewers are projecting to have the 1st, 3rd, and 4th best starters in the division.  Those are Greinke, Gallardo, and Marcum in that order. 
  • The Pirates have a horrible staff.  They have a 5th starter as their #2 and it gets worse from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment